ITALIAN MEATLOAF W/FRESH BASIL AND SUN-DRIED TOMATOES
Italian Meatloaf w/ Fresh Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Cooking Time: 35 min.
- 1 cup water, boiling
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, pack without oil
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup bread crumbs, seasoned
- ¾ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup basil, fresh, chopped
- ½ cup provolone cheese, diced or shredded
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey (1 ½ lb.)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips
- Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and finely chop.
- Combine ketchup, breadcrumbs, and the next 6 ingredients (breadcrumbs through turkey) in a large bowl. Add tomatoes to meat mixture and shape into two oval loaves. Place on frying pan.
- Bake on low rack at 375ºF for 35 minutes. You may need to cover with foil toward the end of baking to prevent tops from browning too much. Remove to serving dish. Top with marinara and strips of provolone.