CHICKEN & SEAFOOD PAELLA
Chicken & Seafood Paella
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken
- 1/4 pound boneless pork loin, cut in 1/2 in. cubes
- 1/2 pound squid cleaned, cut in 1/2 in rings
- 1/2 pound monkfish or grouper cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 12-16 extra large shrimp in their shells
- 1/4 pound chorizo cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 6 cups clam juice OR chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups Spanish or Arborio short grain rice
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 dozen mussels
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- In a food processor, mix garlic, parsley, saffron, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mash to a paste consistency (add a bit of water if necessary) and set aside.
- Sprinkle salt over the chicken, pork, squid, monkfish and shrimp (in their shells.) Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Pour broth into a pot and keep hot over lowest heat. Heat 6 tablespoons of the oil in the paella pan. Briefly sauté the shrimp over high heat and remove to a warm platter (they should not be fully cooked.)
- Add pork, monkfish, and chorizo to the paella pan, cook for 2 minutes and add to platter with shrimp. Add squid, sauté 1 minute and remove to platter.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, mix in onion and red pepper, cook until slightly softened.
- Stir in tomato, cook 1-2 minutes then stir in paprika and rice, coating it well with the pan mixture.
- Pour the hot broth and bring to a boil. Add pate mixture from food processor; continue to boil for 3 minutes.
- Add monkfish, chorizo, pork, squid and peas and boil an additional 2 minutes. Arrange chicken, shrimp and mussels over the rice and transfer into oven. Cook, uncovered 10- 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges.