- 1.5 pound lobster, cooked
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 dozen or more small clams
- 1 quart mussels
- 1.5 pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 ounce ham, cut in thin strips
- 1 chorizo (hot Spanish sausage), sliced
- 1 ounce salt pork, finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups rice, washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 can peas, drained
- 1 can pimientos
Remove meat from the lobster. Shell and de-vein shrimp. Scrub mussels and clams. Cut chicken into medium sized serving pieces.
- Combine oregano, peppercorns, garlic, salt, two tablespoons of the olive oil and the vinegar and mash with back of spoon or with a mortar. Rub chicken with the mixture.
- Heat remaining olive oil in paella pan and brown chicken lightly over moderate heat. Add ham, chorizo, salt pork, onion, green pepper, coriander and capers. Cook ten minutes over low heat.
- Add tomato sauce and rice and cook 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of boiling water, saffron and shrimp. Mix well and cook rapidly, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- With a large spoon, turn rice from top to bottom. Add lobster meat and peas; cover and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Steam mussels and clams in a little water until their shells open. Heat the pimientos and drain. Use the mussels, clams and pimientos as a garnish.