MIXED VEGETABLES PAELLA
Mixed Vegetables Paella
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch crosswise slices and quartered
- 2 cups well washed (and dried) spinach leaves
- 2 medium red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoon finely chopped hot red or green pepper
- 6 frozen artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2/3 cup frozen lima beans
- 6 large shitake mushrooms (about 1/2 pound) stems trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 8 medium scallions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable OR chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, skinned seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 3 cups imported Spanish or Arborio short-grain rice
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 pound snow peas
- In a large bowl combine the zucchini, spinach, sweet and hot peppers, artichoke, lima beans, mushroom, peas, and scallions.
- Combine the broth and saffron in a pot and keep warm over lowest heat. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in the paella pan. Add vegetables from the bowl and sauté approximately 3 minutes over high heat, or until they are slightly softened.
- Stir in the tomato, garlic, paprika, cumin, and parsley, and cook 2 minutes more. Add rice and coat well with pan mixture.
- Pour hot broth into paella pan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 5 minutes. Stir in snap peas and transfer to oven. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and let stand for an additional 10 minutes.