MUSHROOM & SCALLOP PAELLA
Mushroom & Scallop Paella
- 1 pound bay or sea scallops (cut in 1/2)
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 4 1/2 cups clam juice or fish broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary leaves
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms
- 4 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish Serrano ham or prosciutto
- 2 1/2 cups imported Spanish or Arborio short grain rice
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Sprinkle the scallops all over with salt and let sit at room temperature.
- Combine clam juice with wine, lemon juice, saffron, thyme, and rosemary. Keep hot over low flame. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Heat oil in the paella pan. Sauté scallops over high heat for about 1 minute then remove from pan and place on a platter (should not be fully cooked.)
- Lower the heat, add the shallots to the paella pan, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the mushrooms, 2 tablespoons of parsley, ham and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat well with pan mixture. Pour hot broth into paella pan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in scallops and any juices remaining on the platter and transfer to the oven. Cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil, and let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remainder of parsley and garnish with lemon wedges.