- 3/4 pound boneless pork loin, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bay leaf, crumbled
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups imported Spanish or Arborio short grain rice
- 8 very small new potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 4 eggs
- 10-12 asparagus spears, cooked
- In a bowl mix pork with salt, 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika, garlic and bay leaf. Marinate several hours in the refrigerator.
- Combine broth and saffron in a pot and keep hot over lowest flame. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Heat oil in paella pan. Sauté red & green peppers over medium-high heat until slightly softened. Add the pork and continue cooking until it begins to turn opaque (should not be fully cooked.)
- Add tomato and parsley, cook 1-2 minutes, then stir in remaining 2 teaspoons of paprika and the cayenne. Stir in the rice, coating well with the pan mixture.
- Pour in hot broth and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cooked potatoes.
- Break 1 egg at a time into a cup and slide over the rice. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Asparagus. Transfer to oven and cook uncovered until eggs are set (about 10-15 minutes).
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and let sit for 5 minutes.