SAVORY SEAFOOD PAELLA
Savory Seafood Paella
- 3 dozen small to medium mussels, cleaned
- 5 1/2 cups clam juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 3/4 pound monkfish, skin removed & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 pound grouper, skin removed & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pound small cleaned squid
- 18 large shrimp (in the shells)
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 small scallions, green portion trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 cups Spanish or Arborio short grain rice
- Place 1 1/2 pounds of the mussels in a skillet with 3/4 cup of water. Cover and bring to a boil. When mussels have opened, discard shells and reserve meat.
- Pour the liquid from the skillet into a large pot and add clam juice. Keep broth over low heat. Stir in the saffron.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Sprinkle the monkfish, grouper, squid and shrimp with sea salt and let stand aside for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- In a food processor, mix the parsley, garlic & thyme. Stir in the paprika and a bit of water if necessary to form a paste consistency.
- Heat olive oil in paella pan, quickly sauté the monkfish, grouper, squid and shrimp for 1-2 minutes (should not be fully cooked) Remove seafood from paella pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil, onions, scallion, red peppers to paella pan and cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Raise the heat, add tomatoes and cook additional 2 minutes. Stir in rice and coat well with the mixture in the pan. Add the hot broth and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Add all seafood (except the shrimp and paste mixture from the food processor) to the boiling broth. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Arrange shrimp and remaining 1 1/2 lbs. of mussels on top of the rice. Transfer paella pan into oven, cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes (or until most of the liquid is absorbed).