VALENCIA STYLE PAELLA
Valencia Style Paella
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 sprigs rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1/2 pound chicken, cut in 2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 pound pork, cut in 2 inch cubes
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium green Italian peppers
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound split peas
- 1/2 pound of snow peas
- 4 frozen artichoke hearts, in quarters
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups imported Spanish or Arborio short grain rice
- Heat broth, rosemary, salt, saffron and 4 cups of water in a covered pot over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove rosemary and discard.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Sprinkle chicken and pork with sea salt. Heat oil in the paella pan sauté chicken and pork over high heat until brown but not fully cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Add the green peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook until slightly softened, keeping the heat high. Stir in split peas, snow peas, and artichokes cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and parsley, cook 1 minute then mix in paprika. Stir in rice and coat well with pan mixture.
- Pour in hot broth and bring to a boil, boil for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Transfer mix to oven and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with foil, let stand for 10 minutes.