Serves: 4 Pints
Pressure Cooking Time: 8 minutes/High Pressure
Headspace: ½ inch
- 7 pounds apples, sweet, tart, combination
- Ascorbic acid
- 4 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste (optional)
- Wash, peel, and core apples. Slice into water containing ascorbic acid to prevent browning. Drain.
- Place drained slices in a large pot. Add 1-2 cups of water. Stirring occasionally to prevent burning, heat quickly until tender (5 to 20 minutes, depending on maturity and variety).
- Press through a sieve or food mill, or skip the pressing step if you prefer chunk-style sauce. Add sugar and cinnamon if desired.
- Reheat sauce to boiling. Fill jars with hot sauce, leaving ½ inch of headspace. Cap and seal. Place in canner with 2 to 3 inches of hot water.