CHILE CON CARNE
Chile Con Carne
Serves: 4 Pints
Pressure Cooking Time: 75 minutes/High Pressure
Headspace: 1 inch
- 1 ¼ cups dry kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
- 3 ½ cups crushed tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Wash beans thoroughly and place them in a 2qt saucepan. Add cold water to a level of 2-3 inches above the beans and soak overnight. Drain and discard water.
- Combine beans with water and lightly season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and discard water.
- In a separate skillet, brown ground beef, onions, and peppers. Drain off fat and add to beans with remainder of ingredients. Add 1 cup of water. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle into Jars leaving 1 inch of headspace. Cap and seal. Place in canner with 2 to 3 inches of hot water.