Serves: 4 Pints
Pressure Cooking Time: 20 minutes/High Pressure
Headspace: 1 inch
- 5 pounds tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cups onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, to taste
- Place tomatoes in large saucepan and boil for 25 minutes uncovered. Allow cooling slightly then process through a food mill or sieving to remove skins and seeds.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until tender. Place the sautéed vegetables in a stockpot, add tomatoes and remainder of ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for approximately 25 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Skim any foam from top of sauce as you stir.
- Taste and add more brown sugar if desired as tomatoes vary in tartness. If more sugar is added bring to a simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Ladle into jars leaving 1 inch of headspace. Cap and seal. Place in the canner with 2 to 3 inches of hot water.