CHILI WITHOUT THE CARNE
Chili without the Carne
Pressure Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- One 28-ounce can crushed roasted tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add the onion; garlic; green, red, and jalapeño peppers; carrots; and celery. Cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir and cook 1 minute. Add the cooked beans, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to HIGH pressure over high heat. Lower the heat to stabilize the pressure. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Release the pressure by using the automatic pressure release.
- Unlock and remove the cover.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Tip: Try serving this recipe over white or brown rice and shredded dairy or vegan cheddar cheese, depending on your particular dietary restrictions.
*Recipe adapted from Pressure Cookers For Dummies, 2nd Edition (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012), by Tom Lacalamita