MEDITERRANEAN LENTIL SALAD
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Pressure Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup crumbled dairy or vegan feta cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts or toasted chopped hazelnuts
- Rinse the lentils in a colander under cold water.
- Place the lentils in the pressure cooker. Add the water and bay leaf.
- Cover and bring to HIGH pressure over high heat. Lower the heat to stabilize the pressure. Cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Release the pressure by using the automatic pressure release.
- Unlock and remove the cover. Taste the lentils. If they’re still hard, return to Step 3 and cook for an additional 1 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the lentils and place them in a large mixing bowl. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the red pepper, onion, mint, parsley, 6 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the chopped tomato and feta cheese.
- Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the tomato and cheese. Garnish the salad with toasted nuts.
*Recipe adapted from Pressure Cookers For Dummies, 2nd Edition (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012), by Tom Lacalamita