ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
Roasted Tomato Soup
Pressure Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One 28-ounce can roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dairy or vegan sour cream, or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium to high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is soft. Add the carrot, celery, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bring to HIGH pressure over high heat. Lower the heat to stabilize the pressure. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Release the pressure by using the automatic pressure release. Unlock and remove the cover.
- Purée the soup with a hand blender or in batches in a blender, until smooth. Pour back into the pressure cooker. Simmer the soup over low heat 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream or yogurt and basil. Serve immediately.
*Recipe adapted from Pressure Cookers For Dummies, 2nd Edition (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012), by Tom Lacalamita